Friday, November 20, 2009

Moblin 2.1 WiFi Hp Mini 110-1020nr

Well I just bought my first netbook last night and I am proud to say the OS that shipped with it never had a chance to boot on it. I initially tried to load the Hp MIE Linux but to no avail. I'm not sure what the problem is -- it would hang somewhere around 25% through the boot sequence.

Anyways, I moved on pretty quickly to Moblin (v2.1). Everything works perfectly with the exception of the WiFi. Fortunately for me, there is another fellow who developed a work-around for his Dell Mini 9 that uses the same chipset as my new netbook.

His method can be seen here:

http://slaine.org/_slaine/Dell_Mini_9.html

Thanks Glen!

UPDATED 23 NOV 09:

In case slaine decides to take down his post for whatever reason here is a copy of the instructions of his site -- again this is all his work, I'm just re-posting for ease-of-access:

  1. 1)Activate the moblin toolbar and select the applications icon

  2. 2)Choose the Accessories section and select Terminal

  3. 3)Install the various tools you’ll need

sudo yum install rpmdevtools

  1. 4)Install the compilers and other tools,

sudo yum groupinstall “Development Tools”

  1. 5)Install the kernel-netbook-devel package.

sudo yum install kernel-netbook-devel

  1. 6)Now we’re ready to build and install the new broadcom drivers

wget http://slaine.org/files/moblinv2/wl-kmod-5.10.91.9.3-1.moblin.src.rpm

(This build will download the broadcom driver archive directly from their site)

rpmbuild --rebuild --target=i586 wl-kmod-5.10.91.9.3-1.moblin.src.rpm

  1. 7)Install the resulting rpm,

sudo rpm -ivh ~/rpmbuild/RPMS/i586/wl-kmod-5.10.91.9.3-1.moblin.i586.rpm

2 comments:

Fido said...

ep 6 does not work for me, i get:
the package wl-kmod-....rpm could not be installed

Jerry said...

Hi there:

I was guided here by Google. Thank you so much for your post. That gives me any opportunity to run Moblinux on my HP Mini.

I tried to follow these instructions, but they didn't work quite while. I guess that's because your instructions were written almost three years ago. Anyways, here is what I got and hope you can help me.

Thanks a lot.

Jerry

***********

[root@localhost moblin]# sudo yum install kernel-netbook-devel
Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit
http://repo.moblin.org/moblin/garage/2.1/non-oss/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError:
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: garage-non-oss. Please verify its path and try again
[root@localhost moblin]# wget http://slaine.org/files/moblinv2/wl-kmod-5.10.91.9.3-1.moblin.src.rpm
bash: wget: command not found